Founded by the Presbyterian missionary Dr. Thomas Barclay in 1876, the Tainan Theological College and Seminary was the first school of higher education in Taiwan.
It was founded to meet the rising need of educating Taiwanese evangelists, but also offered a full range of courses including Chinese history, mathematics, and astronomy.
The campus today is a lovely one, tucked in-between the busy streets of Qingnian and Dongmen. The campus is a quiet escape with lush foliage and banyan trees separating the various buildings. It is divided into north and south sections by Sinlau Street, which is lined with Cuban royal palms. The southern part of the campus has the nicest buildings, including a Romanesque chapel and the classrooms of Barclay Memorial Building, both built in 1957. In the heart of the northern section are the brick remains of Barclay’s residence, which was torn down in 1990.
Location: No. 117 Dongmen Road (東門路), Section 1, East District, Tainan City (can also be accessed from Qingnian Rd. next to the Taiwan Chruch Press)